Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Today I bought a rubber


I know what your thinking, Gosh Serena TMI. Thanks for sharing personal intimate details of your life, but in that aspect your wring. Yes I bought a rubber, but rubber in Germany is far from rubber in America. And for all you curious pervs, I bought only a pencil eraser. However, I could not help but wonder how many Americans have been highly confused when directed to the school section while searching for condoms. Further more, I wonder how many have been embaressed when a German friend asks for a rubber  eraser and receives a condom. Just a small realization, of the little known facts and cultural differences that can catch you up at times. And it reminds me of my own blunders. When I first met Toni I had translated lets hang out, only to find out I was saying I would hang him when I get here.  LOL. But my german is improving. TOday I bought meat alone for the first time. Next I'll try the bakery. I understand and read more than I speak, but I am confident that with time I will learn more. Now  I have one month left, and I wish it was longer. But I will be back soon. Back in the country I love, with the most amazing man I have ever met. I am still bafled daily by the power of communication the internet offers. We come from two different worlds, but somehow it brought us together and for that I am so grateful.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails